Sunday, March 2, 2008

Stephen Joseph Rivait - Trying to find his parents

Have you ever found a possible link between one person and their parents but no matter how much info you dig up, you're not quite sure whether or not you should go ahead and link them together?

I've been researching Elizabeth Rivait's parents, Stephen Joseph Rivait and Anna Raymo (Raymond?).

I *think* there's a good possibility that Stephen's parents are Julius and Josephine Rivait. I found a census with a four year old Stephen along with various siblings (matches the year he was born). I researched the parents and siblings as much as I could but I never could find a link at all.

The only link that could even come closer is the fact that Stephen Rivait and Julius Rivait/Josephine are buried in the same cemetery.

My notes are as follows:

( Saint Peter's Cemetery - Vergennes, Addison County, Vermont )

Julius Rivait: 1841 - 1919
Josephine ?????: 1844 - 1892

Children:

Emma: b. 1866?
Mina: 1869 - 1957
Malvina: 1871 - 1959
Nealey: 1874 - 1942
Stephen: b. 1876?

Emma seems to have "disappeared" - in other words, no idea who she married.

Malvina ( Also buried in St. Peter's Cemetery ) married a Frederick(?) Pruniere.

Children:
Jules (Julius?) Frederick: (1896 - 1958)
Thelma J.: b. 1898?

Thelma J. married a Charles Flint (b. 1894?)

Malvina, according to censuses, took care of both Mina and Nealy for quite a long time. In one census, Nealey was named as Cornelius. I think it's safe to say that Mina and Nealey never married and never had kids.

WWI Registration Card for Nealy Rivett, it is noted on the back that he is "Obviously Disqualified (Feeble-Minded)" - Stephen is noted as the person 'who knows where the registrant is at all times'.

Malvina seems to have been a big time caretaker. She took care of her siblings and children longer than she should have. I really am curious as to where Emma took off to.

I'm pretty sure I could sit down and say, "They *are* related. Too much of a coincidence." but I really want documents and proof to say that they are related.

My plan is, if the state can find Elizabeth Rivait's birth certificate and it states where her parents are born, I will then call the place where Stephen J Rivait was born... and hope that they do have a copy to verify who his parents are.

No comments: