Monday, March 3, 2008

James Edward Hayes - Trying to find his parents

Referring to my post before this one:
Have you ever found a possible link between one person and their parents but no matter how much info you dig up, you're not quite sure whether or not you should go ahead and link them together?

Another example! Get ready for this one.. It's a doozy. Some of you know, I've been tirelessly researching James Edward Hayes. Some of my friends wonder why I just won't go ahead and link because there's a few too-coincidental clues that would make the link.

My Great Uncles told me that he was born in South Burlington - My grandmother's, Thelma Ruth Hayes, birth certificate verifies this. I found a 1910 census that takes place in South Burlington with an 8 year old James E. Hayes. A tombstone at St. Catherine's Cemetery has his dates. This matches my Great Uncles's saying that he died in the early 50s. So why won't I make the link? I feel like I want more proof. I guess I'm just too uptight that way.

I did some research in order to try to find a link..

Tombstone at St. Catherine's Cemetery

Lawrence L.: 1859 - 1943
Jennie May Duprey: 1862 - 1927

Children:
John W.: b. 1892?
Lawrence L. Jr.: b. 1894?
Thomas Leo: b. 1896? - Married Mildred?
Ellen E.: b. 1898? - Married George M. Cilbrith
William R.: b. 1900? - Married Harriet M.?
James E.: 1901 - 1953
Stephen Roy: 1902 - 1920
Ruth Mae: 1909 - 1927

Grandchildren:
Ethel M. Cilbrith: 1918 - 1927


Parents of Lawrence L.:
Lawrence: b. 1820? - Ireland
Mary: b. ? - Ireland

Children:
Mary: b. 1853?
Margaret E.: b: 1855?
Lawrence: 1859 - 1943

Grandchildren:
Mabel M.: b. 1890? <-- no idea who she belongs to.


1910 - Mary (1853?) was head of household and took care of John W (nephew), Mabel M. Brown (niece), Mabel's husband Frank Brown (1886?), and child, Dorothy F. Brown (1910?).

1920 - January - Margaret E Hayes (1856?) had her nephew, James E (1901), living with her.

1920 - February - James E. Hayes was counted with his family. He may have moved in with them between the census-taking of the areas.

1930 - Mabel Brown was with her daughter, Rita M. (1921?) and taking care of her aunt, Margaret E.


I noticed a Charles Cockle (1854?) was listed as uncle of Lawrence (1859 - 1943) in one census. I'm not sure how that fits. Lawrence's parents are from Ireland. In the censuses I found of Charles Cockle, he was born in Vermont, his father was born in Vermont and his mother was born in New Hampshire.

I am guessing that he was really an Uncle-in-law and may have really been the uncle of Jennie Mae Duprey.

Charles Cockle:
1900 census: Charles is with wife, Abbie L., and daughters Luria J. and Flora B.
1910 census: Charles is with with, Abbie L., and daughter, Flora B.
1920 census: Charles is with Lawrence, listed as Uncle in relation.
1930 census: Charles is with Flora B., listed as Father-in-law.

Flora B. married Arthur G. Smith (1877?) and had a son, Robert F. Smith (1918?). I have no idea who Arthur's parents are. Too many Smith's running around.


I'm still struggling to get James E. Hayes' birth certificate. It seems that the records are being split between Burlington and South Burlington yet no one seems to have any records? Hm...

1 comment:

sheravery said...

Mabel M. Hayes was the daughter of Lawrence and Jennie (Duprey) Hayes. She was the oldest child, followed by (in order):
John
Lawrence
Thomas
Ellen (died in childbirth, mother of Ethel Cilbrith)
William
James
Stephen
Ruth

Mabel Hayes was my grandmother; her daughter, Rita, is my mother. Hope you find this info helpful