Thursday, April 3, 2008

McEvila and Greenwood

Ancestry apparently charged for another month. I didn't think that would happen. Ooops. I decided to take another look at the tree and I decided to look around the McEvila and Greenwood on my father's side.

My Great Great Grandparents are James McEvila and Charlotte Greenwood.

Charlotte Greenwood's parents are James Greenwood and Anne ??????.

I've been trying to find censuses...

---

THIRD GREAT-GRANDPARENTS:

Husband: James Greenwood
born: Abt 1816?
location: Ireland

Wife: Anne UNKNOWN
born: Abt 1825?
location: Ireland


1860 Census - New York Ward 16 District 2, New York, New York
GREENWOOD, James - 41 - M - Blacksmith - Ireland
GREENWOOD, Ann - 34 - F - Ireland
GREENWOOD, Charles - 6 - M - New York
GREENWOOD, Baby - 1/12 - F - New York

1870 Census - Lewis, Essex County, New York
GREENWOOD, James - 54 - M - Farmer - Ireland
GREENWOOD, Anne - 45 - F - Keeping Home - Ireland
GREENWOOD, Thomas - 17 - M - Laborer - New York
GREENWOOD, Charlotte - 5 - F - New York
GREENWOOD, Elizabeth - 3 - F - New York

-----

I suspect that Charles and Thomas are the names of the same person because of the ages. I have no idea if he is the son of James and Ann.

As for the female baby in the 1860 census, I suspect she must've died for she doesn't show in the next census.

I did look up both Charles and Thomas but I can't seem to figure out who to follow. There's a few that look like easy candidates for it but who knows. I can't follow Elizabeth because there's no telling who she married before 1900.

I can't find an 1880 census for James, Ann, or Elizabeth.

EXCEPT...

In the same place ten years later.

----

1880 Census - Lewis, Essex County, New York
GREENWOOD, Ann - F - 48 - Head - Ireland
GREENWOOD, Ann E. - F - 12 - Daughter - New York
GREENWOOD, James - M 6 - Grandson - New York

----

Could Ann have lied about her age or maybe the census taker jotted down the wrong age? Is it possible the E. in daughter Ann stands for Elizabeth? It's something to think about.

No comments: